Cleaning your house is an essential part of keeping it looking neat, organized, and beautiful. However, when it comes to cleaning the windows of a house, almost everybody tends to avoid that task since it’s no fun. If you are tired of house cleaning chores or often remain too busy with your work to perform them, it can be a good idea to hire a professional cleaning service by searching for “home cleaning services near me”.
Here are a few facts about window cleaning that you should know:
- New York City is the birthplace of the commercial window cleaning trade – In the late 19th century, New York City witnessed a tremendous development when the early skyscrapers were being built. And, skyscrapers meant more windows that meant to be cleaned. At its peak in 1931, there were about 3000 window cleaners in New York City. However, that number fell down to just about 800 by 1995.
- It is better to clean windows on a cloudy day – Most people tend to clean the windows of their house on a sunny day since they tend to believe that it would allow them to see the dirt on their windows better. However, it often has the opposite effect where the harsh sun rays can blind your eyes.
On top of that, the washing fluid tends to dry prematurely and leave residues and streaks on sunny days. That is not the case when you wash your windows on a cloudy day. In fact, it is much easier to clean windows during such weather due to no sun glare and also because the cleaning solution tends to remain until you wipe it off clean to get a sparkling look on your windows.
- It is okay to use a homemade cleaning solution – Commercial window cleaners are costly and often made with harsh chemicals that need to be handled carefully. However, you can get the same cleaning effect by using a homemade cleaning solution to clean your windows.
All you need to do is mix a few drops of dishwashing soap with warm water. Alternatively, you can also make a DIY window cleaning solution by mixing 1 cup water, 1 cup rubbing alcohol, and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- It is crucial to invest in a squeegee – When your window cleaning is done, it is important to remove the excess moisture. The best way to perform that task is to use a good-quality squeegee. Plus, the tool is simple to use. You just have to create a ‘dry edge’ or a ‘clean strip’ with a microfiber towel before using the product.
For instance, if you plan to wipe the windows vertically, you need to create a ‘clean strip’ along the top of the window glass. However, if you plan to wipe the window horizontally, you have to create a ‘clean strip’ along the side of the window glass.
Next, you have to hold the handle of the squeegee at an angle of 30 degrees, place it at the dry edge, and gently pull it to clean the glass. Finally, you have to ensure that you wipe it dry after every use.
- Spring is the best season to clean your windows – Generally, experts recommend you clean windows at least two times a year — the spring and the summer season. In fact, spring is the best season to clean your windows because they tend to get the dirtiest during the winter season.
However, it is important to perform another round of window cleaning during the summer since the springtime brings in pollen, especially if you live in an area where there are many fresh plant fields.
- A microfiber scrubber with a handle is the best window cleaning tool – The type of tool you use to clean the surface of your windows can impact how easily and thoroughly you can clean the surface of your windows. Typically, a microfiber window scrubber that is machine-washable is one of the best products you can purchase to clean your windows.
This is because microfiber can hold more water than ordinary cloth, and scrub efficiently to remove dirt and grime stuck to any surface without causing any damage. Ensure you choose a microfiber window scrubber that can be attached to a telescopic pole if you want to clean the upper-level windows from the ground level.
- You can avoid streaks with the correct type of cleaner and towel – Nobody likes to clean windows that are dirty and filled with lots of grime. However, it can be a satisfying experience to witness them getting cleaned after all the effort you put into cleaning them unless you notice streaks!
Fortunately, you can minimize the formation of streaks by avoiding cleaning in sunny weather and by using the correct cleaner and towel. For instance, ensure you avoid using any window cleaning solution that tends to dry quickly since they will leave streaks due to evaporation at a faster rate.
Similarly, it is important to use a proper cleaning cloth such as microfiber since any other type of cloth tends to spread dirt and moisture instead of cleaning the surface. Furthermore, it is not a good idea to reuse any clothes to clean the windows, especially if they are dirty.
Another great way to get rid of streaks from your windows after a window cleaning session is to use a blackboard chalk eraser. Yes, a brand-new blackboard chalk eraser is very efficient at getting rid of any type of residue on a smooth surface. That means you can use them to get rid of annoying streaks on your windows.
Now that you have learned about a few fun window cleaning facts, perhaps you are more interested in cleaning the windows of your house? If not, there is no need to worry since you can simply leave that task to the experts! To do so, all you have to do is search for “home cleaning services near me” online. Just ensure you hire a reputed professional home cleaner that offers affordable but high-quality home cleaning service.